Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Oklahoma: I Wish Arkansas Was More Like You

Let me 'fess up right at the beginning. I'm a bred, born, raised, educated, and degreed Arkansas Razorback. Furthermore, I live in Arkansas approximately four miles from the Oklahoma border. My in-laws live about seven minutes away in Oklahoma and about 100 yards from the state line. By default I learned to dislike Okie's (my in-laws excluded). Now mind you, it had nothing to do with whether they were good people or not. It's just that they weren't Razorbacks.

Yes, I admit I have been prejudiced most of my life against Okie's. Not the people but their sports teams. I grew tired of hearing Okie's brag about their Sooners. While my Razorbacks were delivered a few thumpings by the Sooners over the years, I was able to take my vengeance out in the 1978 Orange Bowl. Oklahoma was heavily favored. Arkansas had three players, two very important starters, suspended for violating a team rule. Despite the odds being heavily stacked against us, we showed the Sooners how to play football that night and sent them packing 31-6. Okay, enough reminiscing.



From a political viewpoint, I envy the people of Oklahoma. They consistently produce better politicians and certainly better Republican politicians than Arkansas does. Even their Democrat politicians are moderate to slightly conservative. What is Arkansas famous for? Bill Clinton. Need I say more?

This week, the Oklahoma legislature pulled out all the stops. Keep in mind, Brad Henry is not that bad of a Democrat governor. But the Oklahoma legislature was none too happy when he vetoed their resolution to declare the state's sovereignty. So, they got together and passed another resolution by a large enough majority that Governor Henry has no say in it.

What is significant about this resolution? Nothing legally but it sends a message to Washington that the people of Oklahoma are tired of this out-of-control, unrelenting, unnecessary spending and growing federal government control. One legislator noted that the federal government frequently violates the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which states that powers not delegated to the federal government shall be reserved to the states.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.

If I ever move out of Arkansas it will be to Texas or Oklahoma. Boomer Sooner!

H/T: HotAir

No comments: