Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Miss California Should Have Won

When I was growing up my family used to watch the Miss America pageant every year. It was viewed as near the equivalent of the crowning of a queen. Now, it is a joke. Viewership has dropped considerably and one only needs to take a closer look to understand why.

I will probably catch some flak for this but it needs to be said. There are two basic types of Miss America contestants. There are the "airheads" who are all beauty and no brains. Then there are the intelligent beauties who offer a complete package.

Miss California Carrie Prejean may not be a candidate for the Mensa Society but at least she gave an honest, coherent answer to a question from a complete and total moron. Did her answer about gay marriage cost her the Miss America crown? It sure looks that way and that is the saddest part of all of this mess.

In response to a question about gay marriage from viciously gay pageant judge and all-around lowlife Perez Hilton, Miss California had this to say:

We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.
What's wrong with that answer? It was honest. Don't we live in America where we have freedom to speak our minds? Isn't this nothing more than political correctness taken to a ridiculous level?

After the pageant was over, Perez Hilton had the unmitigated gall to bash Carrie Prejean and insult her with a profane name that I will not show here. In addition, he unrepentantly admitted that Miss Prejean lost the crown because of her "anti-gay" answer. Here's what he said:
She lost it because of that question. She was definitely the front-runner before that.
Even Co-director of the Miss CA USA pageant weighed in against Miss Prejean:
As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman...I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family.
Dork. Then why did you allow the question to be asked?

Miss Prejean may choose the high road but she should consider a discrimination lawsuit. Despite what the pageant organizers allege, Miss Prejean was singled out for that question because she is a Christian. She was to be an example to future Miss America contestants to check her beliefs at the door if they are contrary to liberal ideology.
It did cost me my crown. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that’s all I can do. It is a very touchy subject and I see where [Hilton] was coming from and I see the audience would’ve wanted me to be more politically correct. But I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything.
Bravo, Miss Prejean. You did the right thing. You were the only one who was honest.

No comments: