Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Huck Rising

GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is causing quite a stir in Iowa by quietly (and I do mean quietly) equally matching Mitt Romney's numbers. Why is that? Iowans are no-nonsense when it comes to politics and they like common sense and honesty. Mike Huckabee offers both.

Is this surge to the top for real? Will it last? I don't know.

As a lifelong Arkansan, I can tell you Mike Huckabee is a good, honest man despite what you may hear about so called "ethics" violations. Is he the best choice for president? Maybe not. Is he the worst choice for president? Definitely not. Can he defeat Hillary? Highly unlikely unless...

Huck is no match for Hillary's political savvy. However, she is such a disliked figure among conservatives and even many independents, she could defeat herself against a likeable and well-spoken candidate like Mike Huckabee.

I am watching intently to see how Huck does over the next few weeks after he becomes the target of his opponents. If he is tough and savvy enough to fend off Rudy, then he has as good a chance as anyone else to get the nomination. As a matter of fact, he is the one bright spot in the GOP darkness.

I do not agree with Mike Huckabee on all issues, not even some important ones, but if he is willing to fight like he has been to win this nomination, he has my full respect and admiration. And who knows? I could be casting my vote for my homeboy Huck in November '08.

No comments: