Sunday, December 03, 2006

Dictator Chavez "Wins" Re-Election

As I told you in previous posts, my mother's side of my family emigrated to the U.S. from Venezuela in the 1950's. While I have never been there, because of my family heritage I only have good wishes for the people of Venezuela.

As expected, Hugo Chavez has won re-election. The actual spread in the vote tallies is much higher than pre-election polls. I have said from the beginning that if there was any chance that Manuel Rosales might win, Chavez would do whatever necessary, legal or illegal, ethical or unethical, to make sure he retained power.

Here are some quotes from people who waited in line to vote against Chavez. Some wanted him gone so badly they camped out overnight to make sure they got to vote.

"We have to do something. My country is being stolen. This is the last chance we have. Communism is coming here."

"I voted for Chavez previously. I cried for him. Now I'm crying for him to leave. He's sown a lot of hate with his verbiage."

Despite the fact that he claims to be a democrat, he is moving the country deeper and deeper into Cuban-style communism. During the election, a Chavez-controlled government agency walked in and shut down TV network Telemundo's coverage of the election, telling them they were broadcasting without permission. Chavez is also supporting the idea of shutting down private television stations who are involved in "subversive activities".

Let me define that for you. "Subversive activities" in Venezuela are any activities that are not pro-Chavez.

We have a menace to our south that we will have to deal with for the next six years unless the people of Venezuela can join together and oust him. It would be in our best interest to support such an action.

No comments: