Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Putin: Someone To Be Afraid Of

Since the first time I looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes, I said that he should not be trusted. But "afraid?" Okay, when I say "afraid," I don't mean that we should cower in fear. I am referring to being afraid of what Putin's intentions are and what he is amassing the power to do.

The images that are beginning to assemble themselves in my mind are speculation but you are probably familiar with the phrase, "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

Putin isn't walking and quacking like a duck publicly. It is what he is doing in private that has me concerned.

  • Does anyone believe the murders of several Russian journalists who oppose the Kremlin are mere coincidence? Does anyone believe they are being arranged and carried out without Putin's knowledge?

  • Why did Russian police raid the offices of opposition leader Gary Kasparov yesterday? Does that sound like the actions of a democratic government?

  • Why did Putin wrest control of the world's largest liquefied natural gas project from Shell?

  • Why are 80% of the political leaders and state administrators former KGB (now the FSB) members?

It is beginning to look like democracy in Russia is in serious trouble. The winds of authoritarianism are blowing. And don't expect Putin to be our friend.

No comments: